Friday, October 9, 2009

Pumpkin Bread





Now maybe you have tried this recipe before, I know it's floating around out there on the internet, but I got it from my sister-in-law, Jenny. It's a homemade version of Great Harvest Bread's recipe, and boy is it good!! I was disappointed with a lot of other pumpkin bread recipe's I've tried, and this one totally saved the day for me. My kids love it for breakfast. 
Now, I personally prefer pumpkin bread with dried cranberries and walnuts in it, but I think my family might riot if I skipped the chocolate chips. I mean, I love chocolate and all, it has a prominent role in my diet, I just think it overpowers the pumpkin flavors, whereas the cranberry-walnut compliments it nicely. However, you decide for yourself. One thing you can be sure of, if you try this recipe you will have an amazing, happy day and your whole house will smell all pumpkin-cinnamony and everyone in your household will be so grateful to you. So what are you waiting for?


Great Harvest Pumpkin Bread


2 1/2 c. white flour
1 c. 
whole wheat flour
3 c. sugar
2 tsp. 
baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
16 oz. cooked or 
canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1 c. oil
4 eggs, beaten lightly
2/3 c. water
1 c. semi-sweet 
chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 (9x5 inch) loaf pans, or 3 (8x4
inch) loaf pans. Mix flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and
salt together in a bowl; set aside. Mix pumpkin, eggs, water, oil, and
2/3 c. water and stir into dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips.
Place batter in pans. Bake 60-70 minutes until a toothpick inserted in
the center comes out clean.

1 comment: