I made this recipe last night for dinner and I thought it was great! It's from recipezaar.com, but I will just paste it here. It's a mild, sweet chili which is how I like it. You could certainly add more heat to it if you like. We topped ours with grated cheese and sour cream, and had cornbread on the side. Perfect for cold weather!
The only thing I did differently was to add the dry spices to the hamburger and onions and fried them up that way. And I did not add cornstarch, I didn't think it needed it.
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (15 ounce) can italian tomato sauce
- 1 (30 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans red kidney beans (drained)
1Brown hamburger & onions. Drain. Add tomatoes,tomato sauce, beans,and dry ingredients. Mix together.
2Make sure all the dry ingredients are blended together before adding to the liquid. Simmer for at least one hour. Remove bay leaf. Much better the next day. Freezes very well.