Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Chocolate Buttermilk Cake with Whipping Cream Frosting

This was a standard for our birthdays growing up as children. The whipping cream "frosting" is light and fluffy and not too rich. It's a perfect complement to the cake.



Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. soda
3 T (heaping) baking cocoa (almost 1/2 cup)
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Cream butter and sugar well. Mix in order given except divide buttermilk and flour and add alternately. Grease and flour the bottom of a 13x9 baking pan. Or use two rounds and grease the bottoms + use wax paper (that's how I do it and it comes out perfectly every time). Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Whipping Cream Frosting
whipping cream (roughly 1 pint)
baking cocoa (roughly 3 T)
vanilla (roughly 1 T)
powdered sugar (roughly 1/2 cup)

Whip the cream until desired fluffiness. Fold in the rest of the ingredients. I said "roughly" on the ingredient list since I've never followed a real recipe, I just add in ingredients until it's how I like it. Experiment until you find the flavor you like best.


1 comment:

  1. That looks yummy! Wish I had been there to try your cake! I've been looking for a homemade chocolate cake recipe to try, so thank you Becki.

    ReplyDelete