Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Stupid Easy Fantastically Good Crusty Peasant Bread"



On my list of recipes to try is this one from Lynette Strobel, our bishop's wife in New Haven. She is an amazing gourmet cook and has a recipe blog of her own. She says this bread is the authentic, crusty european type bread but is easy to make. You let it sit on your counter all day, and knead it a few times. So, if you want to try it out here is the link. Oh, and it says it calls for beer but don't be scared, actually water works just fine too!

*Just to add a note, I really tried to mess up this recipe when I made it, and it still turned out great. I made it late in the day, ran out of time and stuck it in my fridge after punching it down a few times. I took it out the next day, let it warm up, and baked it and it tasted wonderful.  It has a thick , crunchy crust and everything. I didn't have parchment paper, so I used foil and that seemed to work Ok. I could make this bread everyday, you don't even need to heft out your bread mixer or dough hook or anything! It's ridiculous how easy it is. Have I said enough already? (I posted my photo at the top).


4 comments:

  1. I made this last night. Sooo good!! Even Nate liked it, and he doesn't usually like crusty bread. Mmmm... Going in my favorites file for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm!
    Being a bread fan, I've got to give this a try.
    I love that fact that it is an EASY way to be authentic and GOURMET!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this today and it is fabulous! I don't have a dutch oven, so I just used the biggest pot I had with its lid.

    ReplyDelete