▪ 1 medium green pepper, chopped
▪ 3/4 cup chopped onion
▪ 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
▪ 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
▪ 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
▪ 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
▪ 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
▪ 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
▪ 2 cups beef broth
▪ 3/4 cup raisins
▪ 1/2 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts
Place broth in a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until boiling. Add raisins; let stand for 1 minute. Stir into rice mixture.
Cover and microwave on high for 11-14 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring twice. Sprinkle with peanuts. Let stand for 3 minutes before serving. Yield: 4-6 servings. Note: This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
*I don’t have cardamom, so I’ve never used it. One time I made it I didn’t have peanuts and sprinkled sunflower seeds on top instead. My microwave is 700 watt, so it took twice as long to cook.