Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Katie's Famous Pear Pie

My mom is famous for her pies, and one of the favorites is this pear pie.

1 9" unbaked pie crust
4-6 fresh pears
juice of 1/2 a lemon

1/4 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp mace

whipping cream (optional)

Place cored, peeled, lemon-coated pears in pie shell. Be careful not to use too many pears. I used three large pears for the pie pictured. If you use too many pears, the custard filling is too juicy and doesn't set.

Combine butter and sugar. Beat in flour, eggs, vanilla, and salt.

Pour custard filling over pears and sprinkle with mace. (I never use the mace because I never think to buy it.)

Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes (or until it looks right...).

For the record, I don't think the whipping cream is optional. I think you've gotta have a dollop on top of your slice of pie.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, welcome to our blog pear pie! I sure wish I had a piece of you right now, as I can attest to how good you are.

    ReplyDelete