Monday, February 22, 2010

"Incredible Oven Fried Chicken"

Who doesn't like fried chicken?
Here is another great recipe from recipezaar.com. This is some really finger lickin' good chicken with a fried coating made in your oven (no standing and frying over hot, stinky oil!)
Mark's words in between mouthfuls were: "you should keep this recipe- it's good." So there you have a ringing endorsement from the man himself. Also, it passed the picky kid test with Simon yelling "chicka! chicka!"
I would say it's a little labor-intensive, by my standards, but just looking at this photo makes me want to fix it again! So here's the recipe:

Ingredients

Directions

  1. 1
    Whisk buttermilk, oil, hot pepper sauce, mustard, garlic, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
  2. 2
    Add the onion and then the chicken turning to coat each piece with the marinade.
  3. 3
    Cover; chill at least three hours or up to one day turning the chicken occasionally.
  4. 4
    Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, flour, thyme, paprika, cayenne and 1 tsp salt in a large baking dish.
  5. 5
    Remove the chicken from the marinade and roll in the breadcrumb mixture.
  6. 6
    Set chicken on a rack to dry for about 30 minutes.
  7. 7
    Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
  8. 8
    Place chicken in large baking dish, and pour butter over each piece of chicken.
  9. 9
    Bake until crisp and brown, approximately 50 minutes or until juices are no longer pink and run clear.
Just a few notes:
I never follow a recipe exactly as stated, so I changed a few things. I eliminated the drying time after you coat it- 'cause it was late and we were hungry! I also did not add hot pepper sauce, or thyme. I was out, but I think you can play with the seasonings in the coating a little. I used onion powder, not chopped onions in the marinade, and also added garlic and onion powder to the bread crumb mixture. ( I ran out of coating for 5 drumsticks and 5 thighs, so use 2 cups bread crumbs, I say.) Also, be smarter than me and COAT YOUR PAN WITH FOIL before you bake. Unless you want to spend a fun evening scraping burnt, greasy chicken bits off your pan. I would like to try this with skinless chicken next time, I think the butter might be enough to form a crust on the chicken. Anyway, it would be great with coleslaw or potato salad for a family dinner. Yum yum!

1 comment: