12 oz evaporated milk
1 C butter
3 C chocolate chips (2 11 oz bags - I use Guittard: one semi-sweet and one milk)
1 bag walnuts
1. Mix together sugar and milk in a large, heavy saucepan (the sugar/milk will double in volume).
2. Put on just-below-medium heat. You don't want to bring to a boil too quickly, or you will scorch the sugar/milk and get grainy fudge. And DON'T STIR!!
3. Once the sugar/milk begins a rolling boil (in my hands, this happens at 216ºF), continue to boil for exactly 11 minutes (in my hands, the temperature rises to about 225ºF). DON'T STIR!!
4. Take off heat and add the butter and chocolate chips, and mix vigorously (it's a bit of a workout). If you did the heating part right, the mixture will be really shiny. If you scorched the sugar/milk, or stirred while heating, it will be grainy. Some people say to keep mixing until you get a satin sheen. I've done this or not, with little difference in the result.
5. Stir in the chopped walnuts.
6. Put in a buttered 9X13 pan.
7. Let set overnight.