I came across this recipe for homemade Goldfish crackers (which all kids love,) so I thought it would be a fun project for us. They are really yummy right out of the oven, you'll want to keep popping them in your mouth! Ours came out a little puffy, but I liked them that way. You can cook them for about 15 min. to get a really crispy cracker, more like the ones you buy, or about 12 min like we did, to get these little cheese puffs. Either way, I thought they tasted even better than the real thing! (But a little more time-intensive). We did not happen to have an itty-bitty goldfish cookie cutter, so we used little cutters from our Play-Dough set. (Be prepared to punch out a lot of crackers! We made about 3 cookie sheets full, cut the recipe in half if you want to make less.)
Note, you do have to have a food processor to make the dough, I'm not sure how else you could blend cheese and flour all together into a smooth mixture. Recipe as follows:
1 cup all purpose flour
4 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
(I left the pepper out)
1. Pulse the flour, butter, cheese, salt, and pepper together using a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Pulse in 3-4 tablespoons of water, one tablespoon at a time, and only enough so that the dough forms a ball and rides the blade.
3. Remove, wrap in plastic, and chill for 20 minutes to 24 hours.
4. Heat oven to 350 degrees
5. Line 2 baking pans with parchment or wax paper, set aside (I just used a little cooking spray.)
6. Roll the dough out to 1/8th inch thickness. Cut out as many crackers as possible using a small cookie cutter.
7. Place them on the prepared baking pans (you can put them close together because they get smaller)
8. Bake until golden and crisp- 15 to 20 minutes. (Like I said, my oven only took 12-15 min. to bake them).